These indulgent rounds prove that chocolate for breakfast is here to stay. The final touch, a simple White Drizzle made with milk and sugar, is our nod to the original Pillsbury Toaster Strudel icing.
Nutella and Marshmallow Strudels
- Fast Puff Pastry Dough
- ¾ cup (192 grams) chocolate-hazelnut spread*
- Marshmallow Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- White Drizzle (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll half of Fast Puff Pastry Dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Repeat with remaining dough until you have 20 rounds. Place half of rounds on prepared pans.
- Spread 1 tablespoon chocolate-hazelnut spread onto half of rounds, leaving a ¼-inch border. Place Marshmallow Filling in a piping bag, and pipe an ⅛-inch layer on top of chocolate-hazelnut spread. Brush egg wash around outside edges. Top with remaining rounds, and crimp with a floured fork to seal.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Spread ½ tablespoon Chocolate Glaze in center of each tart, and drizzle with White Drizzle. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Makes 3 to 4 cups
- 3 large egg whites (90 grams)
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ¾ cup (255 grams) light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) water
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at low speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. Increase mixer speed to medium. Add 2 tablespoons (24 grams) sugar, and beat until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, cook corn syrup, ⅓ cup (80 grams) water, and remaining ⅔ cup (133 grams) sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches firm ball stage (248°F/120°C on a candy thermometer), about 15 minutes.
- With mixer on medium speed, add corn syrup mixture in a slow, steady stream.
- Increase mixer speed to high, and beat for 5 minutes. Add vanilla bean paste, and beat for 1 minute. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Makes ½ cup
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) whole milk
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined. Use immediately.
Makes ¼ cup
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) whole milk
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk until combined. Use immediately.