These Oatmeal Cherry Walnut Cookies by Marian Cooper Cairns are the summer cookie you’ll be eating all season long. Who needs raisins when you can have a much bigger, even sweeter flavor impact with plump dried cherries? If walnuts are not your jam, pecans or hazelnuts are great substitutes. Be sure to toast the nuts for optimal flavor. Baking at 350°F (180°C) until the nuts smell slightly fragrant, about 8 minutes, will do the trick.
Oatmeal Cherry Walnut Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground nutmeg
- 3 cups (240 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cups (192 grams) dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups (170 grams) coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in oats, cherries, and walnuts. Working in 2 batches, drop dough by 3 tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared pans. (For picture-perfect cookies, press a few walnuts and cherries onto exterior of each dough ball.)
- Bake, rotating pans once, until golden but still slightly soft in center, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
[…] post Oatmeal Cherry Walnut Cookies appeared first on Bake from […]
Appealing information! Sounds Good.
Good cookie, 1did not leave baked cookies on cookie sheet for additional 3 minutes since I prefer soft cookies. Made 4 dozen using my cookie scoop.