Rich, dense, and packed with chocolate, these are not your grandma’s brownies. The orange marmalade adds depth and keeps the brownies moist.
- 2 (4-ounce) bars (230 grams) 70% cacao extra bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup orange marmalade
- ⅓ cup half-and-half
- 2¼ cups (450 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (43 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (4-ounce) bars (230 grams) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Garnish: unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, and spray pan with cooking spray.
- In the top of a double boiler, place 70% chocolate and butter. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in orange marmalade and half-and-half.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Stir in melted chocolate mixture, eggs, and vanilla until moistened. Stir in 60% chocolate. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until brownies are beginning to loosen around the edges, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Sift cocoa powder over cooled brownies before serving.
Our One-Pound Chocolate Brownies recipe done three different ways:
Malbec Fig Brownies
In a Dutch oven, cook 2 cups Malbec wine over high heat until reduced to ⅓ cup. Remove from heat, and add ⅓ cup fig spread. Let cool completely. Make brownies as directed above, omitting orange marmalade and half-and-half, and adding wine mixture to melted chocolate. (We used Dalmatia Fig Spread.)
In a medium saucepan, cook 1 cup raspberry liqueur over high heat until reduced to ⅓ cup. Remove from heat, and add ⅓ cup raspberry fruit spread. Let cool completely. Make brownies as directed above, omitting orange marmalade and half-and-half, and adding raspberry mixture to melted chocolate. (We used Chambord and Hero Premium Red Raspberry Fruit Spread.)
Ginger and Peanut Butter Brownies
Stir together ⅔ cup crunchy peanut butter and ½ cup heavy whipping cream until smooth. Stir in ⅓ cup ginger preserves. Make brownies as directed above, omitting orange marmalade and half-and-half, and adding peanut butter mixture to melted chocolate. (We used Mackays Ginger Preserves.)