Pillowy soft ciabatta rolls get a healthy helping of savory herbaceous topping in these Onion Herb Ciabatta Rolls. With the help of the SHARP SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS), each roll gets a satisfyingly crisp crust and tender, soft center. This is all thanks to the combined power of the Steam Proof, Steam Bake, and Traditional Convection functions of the oven. And, because we’ve made them into rolls, these ciabatta are perfect for sharing at your next Italian-inspired family meal!
So what does it mean to bake with steam? The purpose of steam for breads such as these ciabatta is to hydrate starch molecules, allowing the bread to rise before setting the crust. The result is an interior with those iconic air pockets and a crisp, slightly chewy crust. And that beautiful exterior sheen? Also thanks to steam. This means you can put away your spray bottles, ice, and cast-iron pans. The technology of the SHARP SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) can help you get that same crust, only faster, and it’s just at the touch of a button.
But breads aren’t the only baked goods that benefit from a steam-powered oven. The SHARP® SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven is technically three ovens in one: it combines cooking with steam (212°F), superheated steam (485°F), and traditional convection, which circulates heat with fans. Each preprogrammed setting gives you more options to master home-baked sweet treats. It’s like having all the advantages of bakery-style ovens (and more) right at home. Other helpful settings for the home baker include Steam Water Bath Mode, which makes flawless cheesecakes and baked custards, and Convection Bake Mode, which is the traditional convection oven setting.
With the perfect results you’ll get from SHARP® SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven, it’s likely you’ll get the urge to share pictures of your creations with others. For this, the engineers at Sharp added the perfect touch. The bright Stage Lighting casts overhead light that makes it easy to snap a photo with your phone and share your creations! And while you have your phone out, did you know that with Sharp SuperSteam+ App you can even preheat your oven remotely? The Sharp SuperSteam+ App lets you control basic functions and sends you notifications when your oven is ready. The app is also full of recipes and step-by-step instructions to help you along the way.
If you’re also a home cook as well as a home baker, the Sharp SuperSteam+ Built-In Wall Oven is an essential tool for you, too! Steam Cook Mode is great for delicate vegetables and fish. Steam Keep Warm Mode is what you want for family casseroles. Steam Refresh Mode is your best friend when it comes to reviving leftovers. SuperSteam+ Roast Mode expertly roasts whole chickens, turkeys, and pork roasts. And SuperSteam+ Grill Mode lets you cook meat, fish, and vegetables quickly without the need for a grill.
Besides the five high-performance cooking modes including Steam, Steam Bake, Convection Bake, Super Steam Grill, and Super Steam Roast, it also offers a sleek design and can be installed in a wall, under the counter, or kitchen island with no additional trim kit needed. So, whether you’re planning for your dream kitchen or are looking for an overall upgrade, keep the Sharp SuperSteam+™ Built-in Oven in mind and get the power of steam at your fingertips.
Looking for more? Don’t miss our giveaway on Instagram for your chance to win Sharp’s new smart countertop microwave oven in stainless steel. The giveaway closes on August 17, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. ET, so enter while you can!
- ½ cup (64 grams) bread flour
- ¼ cup (60 grams) water, room temperature (70°F/21°C)
- 1/16 teaspoon instant yeast (a pinch)
- ½ cup (120 grams) water, room temperature (70°F/21°C)
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups (191 grams) bread flour
- 1 tablespoon (7 grams) dried minced onion
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) chopped fresh oregano
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic (4 grams), minced (about 1½ teaspoons)
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons (6 grams) chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- For poolish: In a small bowl, stir together flour, ¼ cup (60 grams) room temperature water, and yeast by hand until well combined and no dry spots remain, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours. (Mixture should be ripe and bubbly.)
- For dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place ½ cup (120 grams) room temperature water and oil. Add poolish, flour, onion, salt, rosemary, oregano, and yeast. Beat at low speed for 4 minutes. (Dough will still be rough but combined and elastic.) Scrape sides of bowl and paddle. Increase mixer speed to medium-low; beat until dough pulls mostly away from sides of bowl and forms a mostly smooth ball around paddle, 2 to 4 minutes, stopping frequently to scrape sides of bowl and paddle.
- Oil a medium bowl. Place dough in bowl; cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 1½ hours, folding dough in bowl every 30 minutes. (To fold, use wet or oiled hands to reach under one side of dough; gently stretch up, and fold over center. Repeat 3 more times around bowl.)
- Cut 4 (5-inch) squares of parchment; place on 1 tray, and generously dust with flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough, and gently shape into a roughly 7 x 6-inch rectangle; dimple surface with fingertips. Using a bench scraper, cut dough into 4 (3½ x 3-inch) pieces; transfer portions to prepared parchment squares. Gently re-stretch each portion of dough into a more squared shape (about 3½ x 3 inches), if necessary. Dimple surface again with fingertips.
- Set SHARP SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) to Manual/Steam Proof/100°F. Place tray on lower rack of oven; set SHARP SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) to 13 minutes/Start. Proof dough for 13 minutes.
- Remove rolls from oven. Place a clean tray in lower rack of oven; set SHARP SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) to Manual/Steam Bake/ Breads/425°F/18 minutes/Start.
- Cover rolls with a greased sheet of plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed and dough holds an indentation when poked, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove preheated tray from oven, and place on a wire rack. Using parchment to help support, carefully and quickly turn rolls onto preheated tray about ½ to 1 inch apart in center. Place tray on lower rack of oven. Press Start.
- Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown and crusty. Carefully transfer rolls to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- For topping: In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, oil, garlic, and salt. Heat on high in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until butter is melted. Stir in parsley, rosemary, oregano, and red pepper (if using).
- Using a serrated knife, cut cooled loaves in half lengthwise. Brush butter-herb mixture evenly onto cut sides of ciabatta until mixture is all used up. Place loaves back together with cut sides touching. Place on a clean tray. Set SHARP SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) to Convection Bake/Preheat/1 Tray/325°F/10 minutes/Start. When oven is preheated, place tray on lower rack of oven. Press Start.
- Bake for 10 minutes until warmed through and toasted. Serve immediately.