Dripping with sweet orange glaze and scented with warm cardamom and vanilla, these loaves are absolutely mouthwatering. They’re the perfect bright finale to your next brunch.
Makes 2 (8½x4½-inch) loaves
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups (500 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1½ cups (360 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (224 grams) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (4 grams) orange zest
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (8½x 4½-inch) loaf pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cardamom; make a well in center of mixture. Add milk, oil, eggs, zest, and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Drizzle with Orange Glaze.
Makes about 1⅓ cups
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) fresh orange juice
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and orange zest and juice until smooth. Use immediately.
Not much cardamom flavor. How much more cardamom should I add.
Thanks for reaching out! We added the amount of cardamom that we saw fit for this recipe. If you would like more of a cardamom flavor than what exists feel free to double the amount of cardamom listed or add more depending on your personal preference. Happy Baking!
Is 2 and a half cups of sugar right? Isn’t it too much? I tried with half the sugar and for me it’s already sweet enough…
Because this recipe made two loaves and the occasional bitterness of oranges, we found 2 1/2 cups sugar fitting for this recipe. However, sweetness is a preference, just like salt. And if you enjoy the recipe with markedly less sugar, it should still work beautifully. Happy baking!
I used half the sugar, doubled the cardamom, and increased the amount of orange zest a tad. I also made it non dairy and used oat milk. It came out delicious!
[…] recette est issue du blog Bake From Scratch, je vous l’ai traduite et j’ai apporté de légères modifications comme une diminution […]