Dripping with sweet orange glaze and scented with warm cardamom and vanilla, these loaves are absolutely mouthwatering. They’re the perfect bright finale to your next brunch.
Makes 2 (8½x4½-inch) loaves
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups (500 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1½ cups (360 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (224 grams) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (4 grams) orange zest
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (8½x 4½-inch) loaf pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cardamom; make a well in center of mixture. Add milk, oil, eggs, zest, and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Drizzle with Orange Glaze.
Makes about 1⅓ cups
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) fresh orange juice
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and orange zest and juice until smooth. Use immediately.