The classic flavors of ranch dressing— buttermilk, herbs, onion, and garlic—come together in this delicious Parmesan-Herb Buttermilk quick bread. Serve slices warm with butter, or top with your favorite fillings for an open-faced sandwich.
Parmesan-Herb Buttermilk Bread
Makes 1 (8½×4½-inch) loaf
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups (100 grams) shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup (5 grams) lightly packed chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons (5 grams) lightly packed chopped fresh dill
- 1⅓ cups (320 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8½×4½-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, baking soda, and peppers. Whisk in 1 cup (80 grams) cheese, parsley, and dill.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and egg. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture, stirring until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle 2 tablespoons (10 grams) cheese on top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 200°F (93°C), 50 to 55 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons (10 grams) cheese on top. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley and dill, if desired.