Roasted peanuts add a salty crunch to this delectable combination of peanut butter and chocolate. We love a slice alongside a steaming mug of coffee, but a scoop of vanilla ice cream never hurt anyone!
Peanut Butter-Nutella Coffee Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (128 grams) creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- ¼ cup (60 grams) sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk
- ¾ cup (192 grams) chocolate-hazelnut spread,* warmed
- Peanut Butter Crumble (recipe follows)
- Garnish: melted dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, peanut butter, and sugar at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spoon chocolate-hazelnut spread over batter, spreading to edges of pan. Top with remaining batter, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with Peanut Butter Crumble.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with melted chocolate, if desired.
We used Nutella.
Peanut Butter Crumble
Makes about 1 cup
- ⅓ cup (42 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon (16 grams) creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped roasted salted peanuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and brown sugar. Using a wooden spoon, stir in butter and peanut butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in peanuts.