The slight saltiness of the caramel drizzle and nuttiness of the pecans complement these sweet rolls perfectly for melt-in-your-mouth, ooey-gooey goodness. Toasting the pecans adds to their crunch and deepens their flavor.
Pecan Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 12 jumbo rolls
- Cinnamon Roll Dough
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (113 grams) pecan halves, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 grams) water
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- Spray 2 (6-cup) jumbo muffin pans with cooking spray.
- For rolls: Lightly punch down Cinnamon Roll Dough. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 20x10½-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread butter onto dough, and sprinkle with sugar mixture and pecans, leaving a ½-inch border on one long side. Brush egg over side of dough without filling.
- Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log, pinching seam to seal. Trim ends, and slice into 12 rolls. Place in prepared muffin cups. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until dough has risen to just below rim of muffin cups, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans.
- For caramel: In a large saucepan, stir together sugar and ¼ cup (60 grams) water. Cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until mixture is amber colored. Remove from heat, and stir in cream, butter, vanilla, and salt. (Mixture will foam.) Let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle over warm rolls.