Makes about 40
- Essential Pretzel Dough
- ¼ cup (60 grams) baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- Kosher salt or desired Toppings (recipes follow)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
- Turn out dough, and divide into 40 equal pieces (about 1 ounce each). Starting from the center and working outward, roll each piece into a log (4 to 6 inches long and ¾ inch in diameter). Tie each rope into a knot, and place on prepared pans. Cover and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat, and add baking soda. (Make sure pot is deep enough. Once you add baking soda, the water will expand an additional 2 inches.)
- Drop each knot into boiling water-baking soda solution for 30 seconds per side. Remove from water using a large slotted spoon. Place back on prepared pans, and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with salt or desired toppings.
Makes 1 cup
- ½ cup (57 grams) pine nuts
- ¼ cup (36 grams) sesame seeds
- ⅛ cup (18 grams) coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons (18 grams) cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) turmeric
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat all ingredients over medium heat. Toast until fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the work bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture is fine and crumbly, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Everything Spice Blend
Makes about ½ cup
- 2 tablespoons (12 grams) garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons (12 grams) dried onion
- 2 tablespoons (18 grams) sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons (18 grams) poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (12 grams) kosher salt
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.