These no-fuss pull-apart scones have a golden, tender crumb thanks to the unparalleled richness of Kerrygold Unsalted Butter. The perfect balance of crisp on the outside and moist on the inside, these scones might just become your new go-to quick bread. Want to take them to the next level? Fire up the grill and serve these scones with grilled fresh nectarines and a dollop of Vanilla Bean Cream. Buttery, sweet, slightly tart, and creamy, these scones will satisfy every summertime craving.
Kerrygold butter is made from the milk of cows that graze on lush, green pastures of small family farms in Ireland for the majority of the year. In fact, the signature brilliantly gold color of the butter comes from naturally occurring beta-carotene in the intensely green Irish grass. Revered by home bakers, Kerrygold butter provides unprecedented richness to all baked goods, from flaky pie dough to decadent buttercream.
You can purchase Kerrygold at most local grocery stores. Find out more about Kerrygold products online. Also, don’t miss our giveaway on Instagram where 10 lucky winners will receive the ultimate Kerrygold prize package!
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 3 medium fresh nectarines (420 grams), cut into 6 wedges each
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup (57 grams) cold Kerrygold Unsalted Butter, cubed
- ¾ cup (180 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla bean paste
- Vanilla Bean Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush grill pan with vegetable oil. Working in batches, add nectarines to pan, and cook until grill marks form, 3 to 5 minutes per side, oiling pan as needed. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet, and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir together cold cream and vanilla bean paste. Gradually add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Dough will be quite crumbly or shaggy in parts.)
- Turn out dough onto a clean surface; gently knead until dough comes together, 8 to 10 times. On a very lightly floured surface, shape dough into a smooth 7-inch disk (about 1 inch thick). Using a bench scraper or a thin-bladed knife, cut into 6 wedges, and place ½ inch apart in a circle on remaining prepared pan. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake until lightly golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place scones on serving platter, and top with Vanilla Bean Cream and grilled nectarines. Garnish with mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (160 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese at medium-low speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add sugar, and beat at medium speed until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Gradually add cold cream, beating until combined. Scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on low speed, add vanilla bean paste and salt; slowly increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until thickened and stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Use immediately.