Appearing in our Holiday Cookies Special Issue, Laura Kasavan of Tutti Dolci, brings us rich pumpkin and warm spice in her Pumpkin Spice Shortbread Cookies. Look for more of her decadent recipes in Holiday Cookies, out now!
The ever-popular and classic favorite pumpkin spice flavor infuses these soft and buttery shortbread cookies. Decorate with turbinado sugar and pecan halves for a sparkling finishing touch!
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (81 grams) canned pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups (219 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) turbinado sugar
- 24 pecan halves
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on medium-low speed, add pumpkin and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined and dough starts to come together. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2 ½-inch fluted round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared pans. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cookies with turbinado sugar, and press a pecan into center of each cookie.
- Bake until tops and edges are set, 15 to 16 minutes, rotating pans after 8 minutes of baking. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.