Kevin Masse shares this much-loved explosion of Birthday cake fun and flavor. Baked in a loaf pan like banana bread, this Rainbow Sprinkle Bread will bring to life all the flavors you remember from childhood birthday parties.
You may not need to use all the crumb topping, but I’ll let you in on a little secret: It keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and makes a tremendous topping for vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (200 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) clear vanilla extract*
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (60 grams) rainbow sprinkles**
- Birthday Cake Crumb Topping (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour; line with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray pan again.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low, and gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in sprinkles. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half (90 grams) of Birthday Cake Crumb Topping.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove cake from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
**We used Betty Crocker Rainbow Sprinkles (10.5-ounce container). These sprinkles’ colors don’t bleed when stirred into the cake batter.
- ¼ cup (31 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup (60 grams) rainbow sprinkles*
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) clear vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Using your fingers, work in cold butter until mixture has a sandy texture. Add sprinkles and vanilla, and mix with your fingers until small pebble-size crumbs remain. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.