Tart raspberries and rich whipped cream complement each other beautifully in this tender cake that’s sophisticated enough to serve for fancy events but simple enough for an anytime treat.
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
Write a review
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup sliced fresh ginger
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups (188 grams) self-rising flour
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 3½ cups sweetened whipped cream, divided
- 2½ cups fresh raspberries, divided
- ¼ cup (28 grams) toasted almonds
- For ginger syrup: In a small saucepan, bring ½ cup water, sugar, and ginger to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper, and spray pan again.
- For cake: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well.
- Gradually add flour to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla and zest. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake into 2 layers. Remove ginger from syrup, and discard. Brush cut sides of cake with syrup. Place 1 cake layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Spread 2 cups whipped cream over cake; top with 1½ cups raspberries. Place remaining cake layer, cut side down, over raspberries. Spread remaining 1½ cups whipped cream over cake. Top with remaining 1 cup raspberries. Drizzle with any remaining ginger syrup. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
Bake from Scratch https://www.bakefromscratch.com/