Using roasted, salted pistachios—and lots of them—makes this Roasted Pistachio Ice cream irresistible. Check out other favorite ice cream sandwich cookies and ice cream recipes here.
Roasted Pistachio Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (57 grams) roasted salted pistachios, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (28 grams) roasted salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugar, ground pistachios, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cornstarch. Add about ½ cup hot milk mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture in pan, whisking to combine. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into a gel-type countertop freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. When ice cream begins to harden, add chopped pistachios. (Ice cream will be soft.)
- Line a 2-inch-deep 10x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spread ice cream into pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Using a 2½-inch round cutter, cut rounds, and place between prepared cookies. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, and freeze.
Pro tip: Spread ice cream into a parchment-lined baking pan, and freeze for at least 8 hours. Cut ice cream using a round cutter, and place on cookies for picture perfect ice cream sandwiches.