If you like your coffee cake with a little kick, try this rum-soaked raisin-studded treat.
Rum Raisin Coffee Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 cup (240 grams) sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) spiced rum, room temperature
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Spiced Rum Raisins (recipe follows)
- Cinnamon-Walnut Crumble (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup (32 grams) golden raisins
- Rum Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 10-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream, vanilla, and rum.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with Spiced Rum Raisins, and top with remaining batter, spreading to edges of pan. Sprinkle with Cinnamon-Walnut Crumble.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with golden raisins, and drizzle with Rum Glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Spiced Rum Raisins
Makes about 1 cup
- ½ cup (120 grams) spiced rum, warmed
- ½ cup (64 grams) raisins
- ½ cup (64 grams) golden raisins
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- In a small bowl, stir together warm rum, raisins, and golden raisins. Cover and let stand for
- minutes. Drain, and reserve 2 teaspoons (10 grams) liquid. Stir reserved 2 teaspoons (10 grams) liquid and brown sugar into raisins.
Makes about ¾ cup
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (38 grams) chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in walnuts.
Makes about ⅓ cup
- 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tablespoons (23 grams) whole milk
- 1½ tablespoons (23 grams) aged rum
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and rum until combined.