We’re taking this timeless homemade gift from ordinary to extraordinary by sprinkling our Simple Salted Peppermint Bark with sea salt to complement the chocolate and bring out its decadent flavor.
This season, we’re using this peppermint bark on everything, including our Triple Chocolate Peppermint Tart from our November/December 2019 issue. Break it up and use it as a festive topper for your holiday layer cakes, crush it and use it as a mix-in for your favorite chocolate chip cookies, or have a moment of pure indulgence and enjoy it on its own.
Since this is also the season of giving, this peppermint bark makes a sweet and thoughtful hostess gift to take to your holiday parties. You can also package it in a tin and ship it to loved ones far and wide! Basically, this Simple Salted Peppermint Bark will see you through the season.
- 6 ounces (170 grams) dark chocolate melting wafers
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) peppermint extract, divided
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (227 grams) white chocolate melting wafers
- 8 round peppermint candies, roughly crushed (36 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) flaked sea salt
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, place dark chocolate; heat on high in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir in ½ teaspoon (2 grams) peppermint extract and vanilla.
- Spread melted dark chocolate in an even layer on bottom of prepared pan. Firmly tap on counter several times to remove any air bubbles; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another small microwave-safe bowl, place white chocolate; heat on high in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir in remaining ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) peppermint extract.
- Spread melted white chocolate onto dark chocolate. Sprinkle with crushed peppermints and sea salt. Let stand until hardened, about 1 hour. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container.