This endlessly customizable Sour Cream Coffee Cake comes together in a flash. The warm notes of vanilla complement the subtle tanginess from the sour cream beautifully in the irresistibly tender crumb. When topped with the nutty crunch from the almond-cinnamon streusel, it’s pure magic.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60 grams) whole milk
- Almond Streusel (recipe follows)
- Sour Cream Glaze (recipe follows)
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (57 grams) sliced almonds
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
SOUR CREAM GLAZE
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) whole milk
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together;. flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk flour mixture into butter mixture. Add sour cream and milk, whisking just until combined. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with Almond Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and drizzle with Sour Cream Glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, almonds, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Crumble with your fingertips until desired consistency is reached.
SOUR CREAM GLAZE
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
[…] 21. Sour Cream Coffee Cake […]
I had forgotten this recipe. I can’t imagine why! It’s quick, easy and delicious. So Glad to be reminded I will make for family Thanksgiving morning. Thank you.
This coffee cake is delicious. It is lovely and moist.
I added just a hint of almond extract in the glaze to enhance the almond flavor.
Next time I may half again the topping just because I prefer a heavy crumb topping!