Challah is one of those rare things that looks difficult, but isn’t at all. We’ve put a challah twist on the traditional French raisin brioche, or pain aux raisins. Look to this recipe for your dough and use this step-by-step guide when rolling these individual challah buns.
1. Divide dough into 10 equal pieces.
2. Roll first piece into a 6×2½-inch rectangle.
3. Sprinkle with Vanilla Bean, Raisin, and Thyme Filling. Starting at one long side, roll up dough, jelly-roll style, and press edge to sea.
4. Roll dough into a rope about 14 inches long.
5. Cut rope in half crosswise; cut each piece in half lengthwise.
6. Place the four strands in a hashtag pattern (over, under, over, under) with cut sides facing up.
7. Take one piece, and cross it over an adjacent piece. Cross the next strand over an adjacent piece in the opposite direction. Repeat.
8. Tuck ends under, and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.