We jazzed up a simple scone recipe with some fresh strawberries and cream.
Are you baking these scones for our Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry? Be sure to register your bake sale here to join the cause!
Strawberries and Cream Scones
Serves: About 27 scones
- 4 cups (500 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (227 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (240 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), divided
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170 grams) diced fresh strawberries Garnish: turbinado sugar
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add cold butter, tossing to coat; pulse until mixture is crumbly. Transfer flour mixture to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup
- (240 grams) cream, 2 eggs (100 grams), and vanilla. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until mixture begins to come together.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Using well-floured hands, knead several times until dough comes together. Roll dough into a
- x10-inch rectangle. Spread half of strawberries onto one short side of dough; fold opposite side of dough on top of strawberries like a book. Roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle again; spread remaining strawberries onto one short side of dough. Roll dough to ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough, rerolling scraps once. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining egg (50 grams) and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cream. Brush egg wash onto dough. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.