A tender almond cake speckled with earthy poppy seeds and a strawberry-dappled top dusted with confectioners’ sugar, this simple yet chic one-layer stunner embodies the flavors of spring. We call it “a counter cake” because you’ll want to keep it on your counter all season long as a sweet treat for impromptu guests (and yourself).
Strawberry Almond Poppy Seed Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled for 5 minutes
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) packed orange zest
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) almond extract
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (72 grams) blanched almond flour
- 4 teaspoons (12 grams) poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 2 cups (291 grams) halved fresh strawberries (quartered if large), divided
- ⅓ cup (26 grams) sliced almonds
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, melted butter, egg, egg yolk, orange zest, and extracts at medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating just until combined and stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Fold in 1 cup (145.5 grams) strawberries.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray with flour; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread into an even layer using a small offset spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Gently press remaining 1 cup (145.5 grams) strawberries into top of cake; sprinkle with almonds. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove sides of pan; let cake cool completely on bottom of pan on a wire rack. Transfer to a serving plate, discarding parchment. Just before serving, garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.