There’s no need to wait for summer to enjoy cobbler right out of the oven. This Strawberry-Apple Cobbler warms up cold winter days.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons (24 grams) cornstarch
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, combine strawberries, cornstarch, and ½ cup (100 grams) sugar. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in ¼ cup (57 grams) butter and apples.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in remaining ¼ cup (57 grams) butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add cream and vanilla, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide dough into 5 equal portions, and drop on top of cobbler (Dough will be wet.)
- Bake until browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary.