Welcome the year’s first haul of strawberries with these tender basil-scented scones. Sprinkle with sanding sugar for a breakfast that sparkles. Find more spring scone recipes in our 2018 March/April Issue, here!
Strawberry Basil Scones
- 4 cups (500 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (170 grams) cold unsalted butter, grated
- 1 cup (147 grams) diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons (4 grams) chopped fresh basil
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add cold butter, tossing to coat. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes. Stir in strawberries and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and 1 egg (50 grams). Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring and folding just until moistened. Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Using well-floured hands, knead dough 5 to 10 times, about 1 minute. Roll dough to ¾- to 1-inch thickness. Using a 2¾-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps only once. Place on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream and remaining 1 egg (50 grams). Brush egg wash onto scones. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly; serve warm.