Ripe strawberries and fresh cucumbers are stirred into the batter to create a Strawberry Cucumber Bread that’s light enough for a morning snack, but sweet enough to be an afternoon treat.
Strawberry Cucumber Bread
Makes 1 (9x5-inch) load
- ½ cup (160 grams) strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (113 grams) clarified butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) almond extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 2 cups (250 grams) grated and well drained cucumber
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (85 grams) sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- In a small saucepan, cook strawberry preserves, cornstarch, and lemon juice over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat clarified butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in cucumber, walnuts, and ¼ cup (42.5 grams) sliced strawberries. Spoon half of batter into prepared pan; top with strawberry preserve mixture. Add remaining batter, and top with remaining ¼ cup (42.5 grams) strawberry slices.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.