Ripe strawberries and fresh cucumbers are stirred into the batter to create a Strawberry Cucumber Bread that’s light enough for a morning snack, but sweet enough to be an afternoon treat.
Strawberry Cucumber Bread
Makes 1 (9x5-inch) load
- ½ cup (160 grams) strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (113 grams) clarified butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) almond extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 2 cups (250 grams) grated and well drained cucumber
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (85 grams) sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- In a small saucepan, cook strawberry preserves, cornstarch, and lemon juice over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat clarified butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in cucumber, walnuts, and ¼ cup (42.5 grams) sliced strawberries. Spoon half of batter into prepared pan; top with strawberry preserve mixture. Add remaining batter, and top with remaining ¼ cup (42.5 grams) strawberry slices.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Delicious recipe!! It was a hit at my office.
wondering if we can use zucchini instead cucumber.
Thanks for reaching out! You can switch out the cucumber for zucchini if you wish to do so. We would love to hear how it turns out for you. Happy Baking!
[…] it. The recipe is on their website so instead of writing it here on my blog, here is a link to the Strawberry Cucumber Bread recipe. It was really pretty easy to […]
Tips: must use ghee and not regular butter (which has too much water); measure your freshly grated cucumber BEFORE draining, so as not to use too much cucumber (again, too much water); and take that extra step in the recipe to reduce your strawberry jam (yet again, to reduce water content and prevent seepage). In my haste, I made all these mistakes and ended up with a rather soggy loaf that took ages to bake (my bad). I still think it’s a cool recipe that’s nice for the summer.
[…] for breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea! Sweettablescapes absolutely LOVED it!! The recipe is from “Bake from Scratch” Special Issue Quick Bread 2018 and we highly recommend you get a […]