Capture the essence of the season with these tender strawberry- and pecan-studded scones. Sunnyland Farms Raw Georgia Pecan Halves highlight the sweetness of the strawberries with rich, buttery notes while lending irresistible crunch to every bite. Topped with a velvety vanilla glaze, these scones are next-level delicious.
Makes 8 scones
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (57 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup (180 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) tightly packed orange zest
- ½ cup (85 grams) ½-inch-chopped fresh strawberries, patted dry
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped toasted Sunnyland Farms Raw Georgia Pecan Halves
- 2 tablespoons (14 grams) chopped Sunnyland Farms Raw Georgia Pecan Halves
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Sparkling sugar, for sprinkling
- Vanilla Bean Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, breaking up any clumps by hand if needed. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir together cold cream, vanilla bean paste, and orange zest. Gradually add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in strawberries and toasted pecans. (It’s OK if dough is crumbly or shaggy in parts.)
- Turn out dough onto a very lightly floured surface; knead gently 4 to 6 times to bring dough together. Roll or pat dough into a 7-inch circle (1-inch thickness), lightly flouring surface as needed to prevent sticking. Using a bench scraper or a thin-bladed knife, cut dough circle into 8 wedges; gently press raw pecans into tops of scones as desired. Place scones at least 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Spoon Vanilla Bean Glaze into a small pastry bag; cut a ¼-inch opening in tip. Drizzle onto scones as desired.
Vanilla Bean Glaze
Makes about ½ cup
- ⅔ cup (80 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ tablespoons (37.5 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.
This is hands down the best scones recipe I have ever tried. Perfectly moist but light crumb and it’s not too sweet either. Have already shared it with all my friends.
Great recipe! The dough will look very shaggy so resist adding more cream. They will come together as you knead. Love the flavor of strawberry and pecan. I’ll add more orange zest next time.