Sweet strawberries shine in this simple-yet-stunning skillet cake. It’s quick enough to bake up any day of the week, and so tasty you’ll want to eat it every day of the week. Go ahead, we won’t judge.
Strawberry Skillet Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups (167 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream
- 1 pound (638 grams) fresh strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch enamel-coated cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 1 cup
- (200 grams) sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in strawberries. Spread batter into prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup (50 grams) sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve immediately.
Add lemon or other citrus juice to strawberries to help maintain their bright color during baking.
This is a delicious cake. I have also baked it in a 9 inch springform pan and two 6 inch springform pans!
I absolutely love this cake. I have made it so many times and everyone that has tasted it loves it! It is so easy and so yummy. I usually do not bake it in a skillet. I use a 9 inch round baking dish of some sort. Ive also made it in a bundt pan before.
This cake is fabulous! I sprinkled cinnamon sugar before baking and a little more after. Moist, tender crumb, sweet and delicious!