Reimagined with a vanilla bean pâte sablée crust and a custardy sweet potato filling, our Sweet Potato Bars take tried-and-true sweet potato pie to epic new heights thanks to Heilala Vanilla. Heilala Vanilla’s premium vanilla bean paste lends tempting vanilla speckles and a rich flavor to the buttery crust while their vanilla extract brings out the sweet mellow flavor of sweet potato. Simple yet satisfying, these portable bars are ready to wow at your next dinner party.
Stock up on Heilala Vanilla by using the code BAKEFS11 to get 20% your vanilla purchase in their online store! Code valid through November 30, 2019.
- Pâte Sablée (recipe follows)
- 2 cups (488 grams) warm mashed baked sweet potato (see Note)
- 1 cup (240 grams) evaporated milk
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract*
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan; lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Press Pâte Sablée into bottom of prepared pan. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Using a fork, dock dough about every 1 inch.
- Bake until light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together warm mashed sweet potato and all remaining ingredients until well combined. Pour filling onto warm crust.
- Bake until filling is set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 175°F (79°C), 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan. Trim edges, and cut into bars as desired using a hot, dry knife.
Make sure mashed baked sweet potato is completely smooth without any chunks.
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and egg yolks, beating until combined. Beat in vanilla bean paste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Use immediately.