The name says it all—the indulgence of wedding cake without having to actually go to a wedding. The only marriage here is between your taste buds and sweet, sweet cake. Find more recipes for Classic Cakes, here.
Tastes Just Like Wedding Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 3¾ cups (375 grams) cake flour
- 2½ teaspoons (12.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- Almond Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper, and spray pans again.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine milk, sour cream, and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites at high speed just until stiff peaks form. Stir one-fourth of egg whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Divide batter between prepared pans (smoothing tops if necessary).
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Almond Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sparkling sugar, if desired.
Makes about 4½ cups
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (2-pound) package (910 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and milk, beating until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. Add almond extract, beating until combined.