These Triple-Vanilla Scones with Cinnamon-Sugar Filling are packed with cinnamon and sprinkled with a fine coat of vanilla bean-speckled sugar. These Triple Vanilla Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Filling shine with the warmth and sweetness of Heilala’s superior Tonga-grown vanilla.
Check out our Restock Your Pantry Giveaway here! Giveaway closes February 28, 2022.
Heilala Triple Vanilla Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Filling
Makes 6 scones
- ¼ cup (31 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons (21 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Bean Sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoons (21 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 grams) plus 11⁄2 tablespoons (18 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Bean Sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon (71 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (240 grams) plus 1 teaspoon (5 grams) heavy whipping cream, chilled and divided
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ⅛ teaspoon Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Premium Heilala Vanilla Bean*, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- For filling: In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using your fingertips, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- For dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup (50 grams) vanilla sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Add 1 cup (240 grams) cold cream and vanilla extract, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a sheet of parchment paper. Divide dough in half (about 311 grams each), and roll each half into a round. Cover with a second sheet of parchment paper, and press each half into a 6½-inch disk. Remove top sheet of parchment. Press filling into center of one disk of dough, leaving a ¼-inch border on all sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon (5 grams) cold cream. Brush egg wash onto edges of dough. Top with second disk of dough, and press around edges to seal. (Final product should be 6½ inches in diameter and 1 inch high.) Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 6 wedges. Place at least 1 inch apart on prepared pan. Brush with egg wash, and top with remaining 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) vanilla sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add reserved vanilla bean seeds, and whisk until evenly distributed. Use immediately. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones.
*1 teaspoon (4 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract can be substituted.
[…] the moment I flipped open my January issue of the Bake From Scratch magazine and saw these scones on the first page, I have been obsessed. I’ve baked them several […]