Zucchini brings extra moisture to this classic quick bread, making for a more tender crumb than you’d find in standard banana bread. A medley of warm spices complement both the banana and summer squash beautifully.
Zucchini Banana Bread
Makes 1 (9x5-inch) loaf
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups (341 grams) mashed ripe banana (about
- 3 medium bananas)
- 1 cup (110 grams) grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 banana (124 grams), halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) produce protector*
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in mashed banana, zucchini, and vanilla. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Place banana halves, cut side up, on top of batter.
- In a small bowl, combine produce protector and 1 teaspoon (5 grams) water. Brush mixture on cut side of bananas to retain color.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
We used Ball Fruit-Fresh Produce Protector.
[…] recipe is loosely adapted from the zucchini banana bread loaf in the September/October issue of Bake From Scratch […]
[…] in our fruit basket; but we might have found a new contender with this Zucchini Banana Bread from Bake from Scratch, Quick Bread Special Issue, Fall 2018. This version is so much tender and moist that you might find it more appealing than the […]
absolutely love this
Very good! I’ve made it twice and needed more than 3 bananas and only baked an hour.